Newsletter : 5fax0314.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
New Rules Allow Armed Arabs But Not Jews to Accompany School Trips
The Ministry of Education has set new rules allowing Arabs who volunteer for the Civil
Guard to provide security for school field trips armed with a weapon. The new rules favor
Arabs over Jews who are prohibited from accompanying school field trips armed with a
weapon unless they have completed a tour of duty in the army. For example, a Jewish
immigrant who volunteers for the Civil Guard, but did not serve in the army, is not
allowed to provide security for such. And 1,400 PA Arabs are being allowed to cross into
pre-1967 Israel in order to conduct business and provide cheap labor to Israelis. 900 PA
residents of Judea and Samaria and 500 from Gaza will be allowed in.
Israel Rehearsing Plans to Destroy Iran's Nuclear Plants
The London Sunday Times reported that Israel has operational plans for a combined air
and ground attack on Iranian nuclear installations, to be used if Tehran fails to halt its
atomic weapons program. The paper said that the security mini-cabinet recently convened at
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's Shikmim Farm near Sderot, giving the plan initial
authorization. The U.S., while not actively involved in the possible attack, has given
tacit approval to an Israeli strike if diplomatic efforts fail to halt Iran.
The Times noted that no matter how an attack of this nature comes to pass, the U.S.
knows that it and Israel would be held jointly responsible. The U.S. carrot-and-stick
efforts vis-à-vis Iran has concentrated lately on the carrot. Secretary of State
Condoleeza Rice announced last week that if Iran gives up its nuclear ambitions, the U.S.
would remove its objections to allowing Iran to join the World Trade Organization, and
would consider "additional financial incentives" for Iran. Rice also said, however, that
major international sanctions would be considered if Iran did not cooperate.
Iran responded with a flat-out no, announcing Saturday that "neither threats nor
incentives" would change Iran's nuclear pursuits. Reuters reported, "Tehran, which has a
stated goal of destroying the Jewish state, says its nuclear activities are aimed only at
electricity generation." The international community does not believe this, however.
Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom, visiting in Mexico, told Reuters, "We must act quickly
to prevent [Iran from producing nuclear weapons], for this would be a nightmare for Israel
and the entire world." Israel's plans, which have been practiced at a mock-Iranian nuclear
plant in the Negev, include explosives-laden dogs, trucks with commandos disguised as
Iranians, and bunker-busting bombs dropped from F-15 jets. Another rehearsal is scheduled
for next month, the Times reported. Plans are being held up, however, both by the
diplomatic efforts and by the lack of certain knowledge of all Iran's nuclear reactors and
Iran's Nuclear Capability
By Emanuel A. Winston (Commentary)
It appears that President George Bush wants Israel to take the lead in attacking Iran's
nuclear capability, denials notwithstanding. Then Bush, the E.U. and the U.N. could scream
bloody murder - as they did when Israel took out the Russian-built Osirak in 1981. Later,
as it was told, the champagne corks were popping in the cloakrooms where the American,
European and Arabs were delirious with happiness. But, in public - along with the media -
Israel was pummeled unmercifully.
Given that America is giving Israel no choice in the life-and-death matter perhaps
Israel should take one preliminary step before launching a full-scale strike. Perhaps it
would be beneficial to hit the $800 Million Russian-built Bushehr nuclear plant now,
before it is loaded with Russian nuclear fuel rods, as follows:
The strike could rely on area-denial missiles. That is a missile loaded with
radioactive particles, which do not explode but rather scatter about making any
containment unusable. These are missiles with a sufficiently large warhead to breach
several parts of the Bushehr reactor so as to deny access by workers. Deep penetrating
bunker-busting bombs that can break through may accompany this to deeper structures under
the visible plant. The fissionable material would be sufficiently radioactive so as to
defy clean up, resulting in Iran mothballing the entire facility.
A follow-on message from Israel to the Iranian government would be along these lines:
"Should you decide to attack us with a saturation missile attacks, we will respond on
launch with nuclear weapons against your capital, Tehran, and all other sites we deem
Israeli Report Says Government Violated Settlement Laws
By Robert Berger (VOA-Jerusalem)
The Israeli government has accepted a report on Jewish settlement expansion in the West
Bank that points to violations of an internationally backed peace plan. Israel is
promising to make amends and dismantle about one quarter of them. The Cabinet adopted an
official report that found widespread government complicity in the establishment of more
than 100 illegal settlement outposts in the West Bank. The report said government aid to
the outposts, included providing money, land, water and electricity.
In effect, the report said successive governments broke the law to advance the cause of
West Bank settlements. As a first step, the government decided to dismantle 24 outposts.
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, who is considered to be the father of the settlements, told
the Cabinet that he is committed to dismantling the outposts in compliance with the
internationally backed "road map" peace plan. But Israel has made that promise before, and
nothing has been done.
The settlers admit they had plenty of help from the government, including. Sharon "It
is obvious the one who sent us is the prime minister, so he should look in the mirror,"
said settlement leader Shaul Goldstein, who spoke on Israel Television.
Cabinet Minister Ephraim Sneh of the dovish Labor Party said the sooner the outposts
are removed, the better. "They are like cancer in the body of our land because they are
[an] obstacle to peace; there will no peace as long as they exist." The report does not
recommend legal action against Sharon or other officials, but it does demand drastic
measures to stop government assistance to the outposts.
One of the most vocal critics of the outposts is U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who
described them as a flagrant violation of the "road map."
Annan arrived in the Middle East Sunday for talks on advancing the region's peace process.
He met with Sharon in Jerusalem, and plans to travel to the West Bank town of Ramallah on
Monday to meet with Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas.
World leaders have expressed hope for the peace process since last month's Mideast
summit, where Sharon and Abbas declared an end to four years of violence. The process hit
a snag when talks on Israel handing over security control in several West Bank cities
ended without agreement.
U.S. Appeals Court to Hear Pollard Arguments
A U.S. Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments in Jonathan Pollard's case Tuesday.
Pollard has presented motions to overturn his life sentence and to grant his attorneys
access to his file. These motions were previously dismissed by the District Court on
technical issues - but following an appeal, the Appeals Court for the District of Columbia
agreed to re-hear them on their merits.
Pollard is in his 20th year of a life sentence for passing classified information to
Israel. He is the only person in the history of the U.S. to receive a life sentence for
espionage on behalf of an ally; the median sentence for this offense is 2-4 years. Lauer
and Semmelman will be asking the court to grant an evidentiary hearing in support of his
claim that ineffective counsel resulted in his disproportionate and unjust sentence.
In addition, the attorneys will be asking the Court to allow them access to the
classified portions of Pollard's own sentencing docket - access which has until now only
been permitted to opponents of clemency for Pollard. A roster of distinguished individuals
and legal organizations - including the ACLU, the NACDL and the AAJLJ - have submitted a
"friend of the court" brief in support of Pollard's claim. Since Pollard was sentenced in
1987, none of his security-cleared attorneys has been permitted to access the classified
portions of his sentencing docket to challenge the false allegations and misinformation
that was used to sentence him to life.
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)