Google Search
Search www.israelfaxx.com


Newsletter : 4fax0318.txt

Directory | Previous file | Next file

Suspected Nazi Charged in German Court

By IsraelNationalNews.com

An 86-year-old Nazi war crimes suspect was charged in a German court Wednesday with 164 counts of murder for his suspected role in the killing of Slovak civilians. The murders are alleged to have taken place in three Slovakian villages in 1945. The defendant, Ladislav Nisnenski, is suspected as having been a leader of the Slovakian cell of the Nazi party, terrorizing Jews and aiding the Nazi party in that country.


IDF Begins Operation "Continuing Story"

By IsraelNationalNews.com & VOA News


The IDF has begun streaming in forces to and around the Gaza area, in preparation for what could be Israel's largest anti-terror offensive since Operation Defensive Shield almost two years ago. The goal is to eradicate the Hamas leadership in Gaza. "We will not leave Gaza with our tail between our legs, like in Lebanon," a government spokesman said. Arutz-7's Yosef Meiri noted that the withdrawal plan has still not even been discussed with the Cabinet or Knesset - let alone been presented for their approval.

The current Gaza offensive: "Continuing Story" has IDF forces deployed in Nachal Oz in the western Negev, the Kisufim and Erez Crossings into Gaza, and along the Israeli-Egyptian border. Shinui Party ministers in the government forum had recommended that only air strikes be carried out, but the majority opinion was that the operation be all-encompassing and include ground actions as well. No decision was made on the expulsion of Yasir Arafat, who is still one of the main string-pullers behind Palestinian terrorism.

Labor party chairman Dalia Itzik announced that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon informed her "Gaza is just the beginning." Speaking to interviewer Rafi Reshef on Army Radio, Itzik revealed that in her discussion with Sharon the PM informed her that in the next stage he plans to dismantle and withdraw from settlements in Judea and Samaria as well. According to Itzik, the Prime Minister believes that he is in a position to do far more in the way of concessions than would ever be tolerated from a Labor led government.

An Israeli helicopter killed at least one Palestinian in a missile attack in the Gaza Strip Wednesday, bringing to five the number of Palestinians killed in Israeli military action since Tuesday. Witnesses said the helicopter fired at a group of people gathered in a street in the Rafah refugee camp in southern Gaza. Israeli military sources said the group was firing on Israeli troops who had raided the camp earlier demolishing seven houses.

The operation is the third Israeli action in Gaza in a new campaign aimed at militants and their leaders responsible for attacks against Israel. Tuesday evening and again on early Wednesday morning, Israeli attack helicopters fired missiles at targets in Gaza City, killing at least four people. The raids came just hours after Israel's security Cabinet approved a military response to a double suicide bombing in the port of Ashdod on Sunday.

Israel Radio quoted senior military sources on Wednesday as saying the ongoing operation would be low key and would not involve a reoccupation of Gaza.


Did the Ashdod Terrorist Arrive by Container?

By IsraelNationalNews.com

The mystery of how the two suicide terrorists entered the Ashdod port on Sunday to murder 10 Israelis may finally have been solved. Several possibilities had been entertained, including that they arrived via the sea, via an underground tunnel, or over the port's perimeter fence.

However, the discovery Wednesday of weapons, a mattress, and food remnants in a container stored in the port - a container that arrived there only a half-hour before the attack - points in a different direction. It now appears that the terrorists arrived inside the container, which arrived from Arab Gaza via the Karni Crossing to Ashdod, and jumped out at an opportune moment inside or near the port entrance.

Five fragmentation grenades and other weapons were among the items found in the container Wednesday when it passed through a state-of-the-art detection system. The grenades were hidden inside a bag within the double wall of the container. The container, filled with marble slabs, was to be loaded onto a ship leaving for abroad, but remained in the port after the order was canceled. Security forces partially closed down the Ashdod port on Wednesday morning. Haifa port workers have meanwhile set up their own civilian guard to beef up security at the port, 24-hours a day.


Sharon Asks for Report on How to Evacuate and Compensate Settlers

By IsraelNationalNews.com & Ha'aretz

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has asked the Justice Ministry to prepare a working paper for the evacuation of, and compensation to, the nearly 8,000 Jewish residents of Gaza - even before the withdrawal plan has been submitted to the Knesset and Cabinet for approval.

Justice Ministry Director-General Abramovitch said during a Knesset Law Committee session on the legal aspects of Sharon's planned unilateral withdrawal from Gaza. "How can you prepare a plan that stands in blatant contrast to the Basic Law on Human Rights and Dignity?"

From the other end of the political spectrum, MK Ophir Pines (Labor) asked, "Are the members of the committee to evacuate settlers prepared for the legal aspects of this plan? I ask this in light of the fact that the settlers are really giving the State a lesson regarding the outposts, with all their court suits and the like." Abramovitch responded that his committee was prepared for lawsuits and appeals to the Supreme Court.

But according to government sources in Jerusalem, compensation for uprooted Jewish settlers in the West Bank and Gaza Strip would be based on the model used in the evacuation of Sinai settlements as a result of the peace treaty with Egypt.

The sources said that under Sharon's disengagement plan, the settlers would be offered three alternatives: moving the entire settlement elsewhere, moving to another settlement, or moving back inside the Green Line and receiving cash compensation and help in finding housing.


Mel Gibson Says He's Intrigued by Chanukah Story

By Reuters

Mel Gibson, whose hit film "The Passion of the Christ" was attacked as anti-Semitic by some critics, says he is now intrigued by the revolt of the Maccabees - the story behind the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.

"The story that's always fired my imagination ... is the Book of Maccabees," the actor and director told ABC Radio talk show host Sean Hannity on Tuesday. "The Maccabees family stood up, and they made war. They stuck by their guns and they came out winning," he said. "It's like a Western."

The Maccabees led a three-year war, some 200 years before the birth of Jesus, against Antiochus, a king who forced the Jews to worship false gods. The war led to the liberation of Jerusalem and rededication of the Temple that is celebrated in the Chanukah holiday.

Gibson's "The Passion," which depicts the last hours of the life of Jesus, has been a huge box office hit, making $264 million since its Feb. 25 opening. But several critics and religious leaders have blasted the film, saying Gibson made an unflattering portrayal of Jews and blamed them in the movie for the crucifixion of Christ.

Anti-Defamation League National Director Abe Foxman was not pleased with Gibson's interest in Jewish history. "My answer would be 'thanks but no thanks,'" Foxman said on Wednesday. "The last thing we need in Jewish history is to convert our history into a Western. In his hands we may wind up losing."


















Home Search

(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)



 
Home
Search
 
Read today's issue
 
Who is Don Canaan?
 
IsraelNewsFaxx's Zionism and the Middle East Resource Directory