Newsletter : 3fax0814.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
Israeli Troops Destroy Home of Suicide Bomber
By Larry James (VOA-Jerusalem) & IsraelNationalNews.com
Israeli forces moved into the Askar refugee camp, in Nablus, Tuesday night, and
demolished the family home of Hisham Jarwan, 17. Seven people were arrested during the
demolition, which Israeli military officials describe as a policy they will continue to
pursue in response to terror attacks.
The Rosh Ha'Ayin bombing and another near the Jewish settlement, Ariel, on the West
Bank, Tuesday, left two Israelis dead and more than a dozen others injured. It also raised
questions about the durability of the internationally backed peace plan, known as the
The government had no immediate plans to respond to the fatal terrorist attacks or the
strengthening of the terror organizations - despite warnings by military and political
Prime Minster Ariel Sharon called the attacks further proof that the Palestinians were
doing nearly nothing to fight the terror infrastructure. The Israeli leader spoke
following a meeting with visiting Assistant Secretary of State William Burns.
Sharon, addressing thousands of Birthright participants in Jerusalem Monday night, said
that there would be no progress on the diplomatic front as long as the terror continues
and the PA takes no action against it. He placed the blame on Abu Mazen, "who is not
fulfilling his obligation to fight terrorism."
Meanwhile, Washington has urged Sharon and Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas to
declare that, despite the violence, they will not stop working toward peace. Secretary of
State Colin Powell said Tuesday that the road map is still on track despite the attacks.
He said peace would never be achieved as long as people continue to take part in terrorist
activities. But he said that such attacks couldn't be allowed to derail the process that
he said would continue to move forward.
The United States and Israel said terror networks must be dismantled. Palestinian
leaders said it would be politically impossible for them to aggressively go after such
militant groups as Hamas and Islamic Jihad because of the support they enjoy among
Perhaps Arafat is Behind Recent Terror Attacks
Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz stated he would not be surprised if Yasir Arafat was
behind the recent terror attacks, explaining Arafat continues doing everything possible to
torpedo the Road Map and to compromise PA Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas' authority.
Making reference to the northern border, Mofaz stated the American message to Syria and
Lebanon - namely the dismantling of Hizbullah - needs to be sent home hard. Mofaz made his
remarks while visiting the Galilee community of Shlomi, the site of a fatal Hizbullah
rocket attack earlier in the week.
P.A. Again Encouraging Suicide Bombings
By Palestinian Media Watch
On Sunday - before the twin suicide bombings in Rosh HaAyin and Ariel, Marcus, informed
the public that the PA was once again broadcasting anti-Israel incitement. Specifically, a
music video praising suicide terrorism had returned to the air.
Speaking on Israel's Channel Ten and on IDF Radio, Marcus warned, "That this message
has returned quickly, after several weeks during which we did not see it, is very serious
- as they are showing men once again that it is a good idea to become a shahid (martyred
in an act of terrorism)."
The music video, which depicts an Arab martyr joining beautiful maidens in heaven, has
been broadcast hundreds of times in the PA over the past three years, reports PMW.
"Whereas there is clearly no causal link between the recent broadcast on PA TV and
[Monday's] bombing," the PMW report stated, "there may very well be a more important link.
The political forces in the PA that control TV and gave the instruction to rebroadcast
this music video encouraging martyrdom are quite possibly the same political forces that
gave the OK to go ahead with the attacks."
Similarly, PMW reported, PA religious leaders have recently emphasized the heavenly
reward for suicide bombings. As broadcast on PA TV: "When the shahid meets his Maker, all
his sins are forgiven from the first gush of blood. He is exempted from the 'torments of
the grave' (judgment); he sees his place in paradise, he is shielded from the great shock,
and marries 72 dark eyed virgins. He is a heavenly advocate for 70 members of his family,
on his head is placed a crown of honor, one stone of which is worth more than all there is
in this world."
Pollard´s Cases To Return To Court Once Again
A Washington, D.C. court is scheduled to hear, in less than three weeks, still more
argumentation regarding two court suits submitted by Jonathan Pollard three years ago.
Pollard has motioned for re-sentencing, claiming, inter alia, that his life sentence
was handed down in violation of his constitutional rights, that the government violated
its plea agreement, and that an ineffective defense sabotaged his subsequent legal rights.
He further demands that his security-cleared counsel be granted the right to see the
secret and damning last-minute memo by then-Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger that led
to his life sentence.
Pollard's wife Esther explained to Dr. Aaron Lerner of IMRA the details of the case, as well as what can - and cannot - be expected. The full interview can be read at "www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=17914".
Jonathan Pollard himself will be present in court, by order of presiding U.S. District
Court Judge Thomas Hogan, but will not be permitted to testify. It is not clear whether he
will be flown in or driven for six hours from Butner, N.C., to Washington, D.C. His
lawyers will have 30 minutes to present their case, and 10 additional minutes to respond
to the government's counter-claims.
Pollard-supporters are not optimistic, fearing that the upcoming session is merely an
excuse to extend the process even longer than the three years it has already dragged out.
The lack of a decision, and the prospect that none will be handed down in the foreseeable
future, is not encouraging, they say. Even a rejection of Pollard's request to appeal his
life sentence would be a welcome development - as in such a case, he plans to appeal the
ruling to the Supreme Court.
The legal issues boil down to two, JTA reports: Was the ex-Naval intelligence officer
convicted in March 1987 on the basis of a misleading secret 46-page affidavit? And was he
denied due process by a defense attorney who declined to file a routine appeal after the
life sentence was handed down? Judge Aubrey Robinson stunned Pollard and threw her crowded
courtroom into pandemonium in 1987 when she handed down the unexpected maximum sentence -
in violation of the plea-bargain agreement in which the prosecution promised not to ask
for a life sentence.
The upcoming court session will not be an actual appeal, nor an evidentiary hearing -
but rather merely a forum for Pollard's lawyers to present their arguments once again on
behalf of allowing him to request re-sentencing. He is currently not eligible to actually
appeal his sentence because his lawyer at the time, Richard Hibey, declined to file a
routine notice of appeal.
Hibey also failed to object when prosecutors violated the plea agreement and asked for
life, and failed to call for an evidentiary hearing on Weinberger's secret affidavit. "It
is known," writes the jonathanpollard.org website, "that Hibey's fees were paid by the
Israeli Government. But it is not clear whose orders he was following... when he gave up
on defending his client. His post-sentencing actions stymied all future efforts to appeal
what Hibey himself knew was a politically-motivated and grossly unfair sentence."
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)