Newsletter : 7fax1030.txt
| Previous file
| Next file
>JN Oct. 30, 1997, Vol. 5, No. 199
Nazi Website Disputes Holocaust
Holocaust revisionist Ernst Zundel is on trial before the
Canadian Human Rights Commission for allegedly creating and
maintaining a San Diego-based website defending the actions of the
Nazi government in World War 2. The Zundelsite
[www.ostara.org/zundel] includes hate speech against Jews and other
minorities while denying the accepted truth of Nazi genocide,
according to the tribunal.
Swiss Banks Publish 14,000 More Dormant Account Names
By Lisa Schlein (VOA-Geneva)
Swiss banks have shed new light on thousands of dormant
pre-World War 2 secret bank accounts. The banks Wednesday published
a list of about 14,000 dormant accounts from that era.
Those expecting a windfall will be disappointed. The total amount
of money found in the accounts is less than $12.5 million. This is
far short of the billions of dollars which Jewish organizations
claim are illegally held in secret Swiss bank accounts.
The list includes the names of nearly 3,700 foreigners. But more
than 6,000 others are Swiss citizens, whose accounts have remained
dormant. Some may have been opened by intermediaries acting on
behalf of Jews who were either unable or afraid to personally
deposit their assets. The average amount of money contained in the
non-Swiss accounts is just under $1,200.
A senior official of the "Swiss Bankers Association," Christoph
Meier, says it's difficult to know by looking at the names on the
list which ones were victims of Nazi persecution. "Mainly I think
it's people and names who are not related to the Holocaust. And
from the names and the cities or the countries that people come
from, we can't really tell how many are victims of that period."
In an unprecedented move last July, Swiss banks broke their vaunted
secrecy by publishing a list of nearly 2,000 names of unclaimed
World War 2 accounts. The Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Center
identified 11 names of known Nazis on that list.
The list can be obtained over the Internet or by calling toll-free
numbers in New York, Budapest, Basel and Sydney, Australia. Meier
says the search for dormant accounts will continue.
German Army Probed for Nazi Sentiment
By Kyle King (VOA-Bonn)
German military authorities have ordered a probe of neo-Nazi
sentiments in an army unit, following the discovery of an amateur
video tape showing soldiers giving the banned Hitler salute and
discussing the killing of Jews.
The scandal erupted last week with the discovery of a video tape
showing 19 members of the East German-based battalion giving the
banned Hitler salute, acting out scenes of violence and making
German television stations have since broadcasts portions of the
tape, which is believed to have been made in 1994 or 1995. The
amateur video was made by the same unit involved in a similar
incident last year involving soldiers training for duty in the
former Yugoslavia. Those tapes showed soldiers carrying out mock
executions and rapes of other soldiers dressed as civilians.
Seven of the 19 soldiers involved in the latest incident are still
in the army. One of the soldiers involved in the video scandal has
admitted he once belonged to a neo-Nazi group. He says extremism
is widespread in the army.
Rabin Assassination Plot Reporter Kept Off the Air
By IINS News Service
Israeli journalist Barry Chamish, who has spent almost two
years working to uncover what he believes was a conspiracy relating
to the assassination of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, claims he has
been prevented from appearing on of the country's most popular
The top-rated POPOLITIKA political talk show was to have
interviewed Chamish on Monday this week, but shortly before the
scheduled show, "undoubtedly due to political pressure and
threats", he was told his slot had been canceled.
Chamish said the show had only wanted to feature him in the first
place to rubbish his claims. But then, 10 days ago, he had shown
researchers for the show documentation proving that Rabin was shot
in the chest at point-blank range -- not in the back from some
distance as appears in official government reports. He said his
appearance on the show posed too great a threat to individuals in
"This is not the first time this has happened," Chamish said.
"Other reporters have been warned by their superiors that their
jobs will be lost if they covered my evidence of a murder
conspiracy. The truth is known throughout the Israeli media and is
being withheld from the public."
An Israeli student, Yigal Amir, is serving a life sentence for
shooting Rabin on November 4, 1995. Since then, Chamish has carried
out an energetic campaign of questioning publicly the official
version of the killing. In the days leading up to the second
anniversary of the assassination -- Chamish says -- Israelis will
again be bombarded in the media by "utter lies" about what
happened. Chamish can be contacted at: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)