Google Search
Search www.israelfaxx.com


Newsletter : 5fax0914.txt

Directory | Previous file | Next file

                             ISRAEL
                              FAXX

                     Publisher\Editor Don Canaan
                      Sept. 14, 1995, V3, #169
All the News the Big Guys Missed

For subscriptions or back issues, please contact POL management

Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin visited Babi-Yar Tuesday, the site where 33,000 Jews were murdered during World War II by invading Nazi forces and local Ukrainians. "We are coming back to these terrible sites to remember and to not forget -- and we will never forget." Rabin added that it is also important to return to learn lessons for the future and to know that no other power will ever harm the Jewish people.

Arafat Pleads with Arab League

By David Gollust (VOA-Cairo)

PLO leader Yasir Arafat has asked the Arab League in Cairo to intervene and stop Libya's expulsion of Palestinian workers. Hundreds of Palestinians from Libya are stranded at various border points in the Middle East with nowhere to go. Arafat met with Arab League Secretary-General Esmat Abdel-Meguid as he continued an effort to generate diplomatic pressure to force an end to the expulsions by Libya.

Arafat, who made a similar appeal to Egyptian President Mubarak in Alexandria tuesday, said he was asking the Arab League to look into the matter and take action.

Libyan leader Muammar Gadhafi -- a strident opponent of the Israeli-Palestinian accord -- said earlier this month he would send Palestinians working in Libya home to show the peace process has been a failure.

Since then, several hundred of the estimated 30,000 Palestinians residing in Libya have been forced out. Large numbers of the deportees are stranded at border checkpoints between Libya and Egypt -- and between Egypt and the Gaza Strip, where Israeli authorities have refused to let them cross into the Palestinian-controlled area.

Lebanon has cut off shipping links with Libya to prevent Palestinians from arriving by sea and reportedly has turned back hundreds who tried to land there. Large numbers of Sudanese and Egyptian workers have also been expelled from Libya in recent days.

Fighting Worsens in Hebron

By Al Pessin (VOA-Jerusalem)

Israeli settlers fought Palestinian residents in the West Bank city of Hebron Wednesday, as peace negotiators continued to grapple with issues related to the city's future. The most serious of several clashes began Sunday and focused on a Palestinian girls' school in Hebron which displayed a Palestinian flag. Israeli settlers who live across the street have tried several times to remove the flag.

Late Tuesday, settlers piled garbage in front of the school and glued its doors shut. But the school opened anyway and girls as young as six-years old stepped over the garbage to enter. Later, an Israeli woman went into the school in search of the Palestinian flag. She was physically removed amid much pushing, punching and shouting by Palestinian parents and Israeli police officers.

A Palestinian man is pushing the Israeli woman toward a stairway saying "Get out of here." The woman responds, "Do not touch me, I do not want to go. This is my Hebron." Schoolgirls watched from a balcony chanting, "God is great," while some onlookers shouted "Kill her, kill her."

The incident drew crowds of Israelis and Palestinians to the street in front of the school, where Israeli troops kept the two groups apart. People on either side shouted insults and threats. A Palestinian man said "One day we will teach you a lesson." To which an Israeli man responded, "One day we will slaughter you." Some people from each group were arrested.

Later, Israeli troops fought running street battles with groups of stone-throwing Palestinian youths. At one point, soldiers fired tear gas, which entered a nearby Palestinian day-care center, affecting several children.

The future of Hebron -- a city of 120,000 Palestinians -- is holding up agreement on the expansion of Palestinian autonomy. Negotiators are trying to figure out how to guarantee the security of 450 Israeli settlers while removing the Israeli troops.

Hebron Conflict Delays Arafat and Peres

By David Gollust (VOA-Cairo)

Palestinian leader Yasir Arafat and Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres have put off -- at least until the weekend -- their next round of talks on expanding Palestinian self-rule in the West Bank. The negotiations, which were to have resumed Wednesday, are hung up over security arrangements for the volatile West Bank city of Hebron.

Israeli and Palestinian sources say the meeting at the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Taba has been pushed back to give experts more time to work on proposals to bridge the gap over the Hebron issue.

Officials of the two sides are working in the Israeli port town of Eilat just a few kilometers from Taba and hope to make enough progress to allow the delegation chiefs -- Arafat and Peres -- to convene late Saturday or Sunday.

Under the Israeli/PLO peace accord -- which is two years old -- Israel is to withdraw its troops from Arab population centers in the West Bank to clear the way for greater self rule and Palestinian elections.

But the process -- now many months behind schedule -- is snagged over security arrangements for Hebron -- where about 400 Jewish settlers live among more than 120,000 Palestinians.

The Palestinians want Israel to commit itself to a scheduled withdrawal from the city. But Israel wants to retain some security presence out of concern for possible attacks on the settlers.

Home Search

(All material on these web pages is © 2001-2012
by Electronic World Communications, Inc.)



 
Home
Search
 
Read today's issue
 
Who is Don Canaan?
 
IsraelNewsFaxx's Zionism and the Middle East Resource Directory